Saturday, February 25, 2006

US:I am Cumming

Finally going to Babcock School of Management(North Carolina, US) on Student Exchange Program(STEP). The course would start sometime in Mid-Aug and strech for 3.5 months.

At IITB, I always use to wonder what is it in US educational system and US univs that all the toppers from IIT land there. I mean ppl who can get good jobs/clear CAT anytime here leave that and go to US for MS/PhD. The education system in US is said to be excellent with very good interaction b/w students and faculty and emphasis on understanding rather than memorizing. Most of the US Tech colleges and B-School have awesome faculty because teaching is considered a very noble profession in US and it is not like India where the ppl who are not able to adjust to corporate world that enter teaching profession. Well since Rashmi has already commented much on Profs in Indian colleges and particularly the ethnicity of IIM Calcutta Profs I won't comment much on it.

Europe is picturesque. It is a perfect place to spend a 3 month Holiday.At IIMC, friends and seniors advised me to go to Europ. The curriculum in Europe is said to be not very rigorous and there would be weekend parties and booze galore. But I can explore Europe later in life also. In whatever company I work, I would surely get a chance to visit and enjoy Europe. But it would be my last chance to study in US(if I don't go for PhD in Economics later on, but obviously than it would be a different ballgame altogether).It would be a last chance to interact with that faculty, to compete with those students who work for sustaining their studies, to study in the country publishing most number of research papers. Babcock is a top ranked US B-school and one certainly gets a flavor of the US education system there. I am going there for the merits of the school rather than the beauty of the place. Also I would be able to test my temperament, whether I am suitable for going into a research based job and that type of life.

So US here I am cumming.

Tag: || ||||